Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My first entry: Birdwatching - How crazy is that?!



So I have spent half of my day today wondering what to start my blog with... the FIRST impression ... and the only thing coming to me is BIRDWATCHING! What a crazy thing ... for so many (myself included) it seems to boring ... yet I have found it completely mystifying!


My infatuation with this "sport" if you will began this winter when we endured a rather long ,and somewhat intense ice-storm. We had just put a feeder out in hopes of a bird or two stopping by and what we found was so much more...within a day we had our first little visitors.. 20 or 30 Dark-eyed Junco Birds. Soon after, the seemingly life-less forest began to emerge with the songs of these small, elusive visitors.












Now, I find myself watching out the window everyday for the newest birds of every color ... hummingbirds fighting over the feeder as they buzz by... bluebirds singing the most amazing songs... and our most favorite elusive "Hairy" the red-headed woodpecker (who seems to somehow evade the capture of my camera everyday). The joy lies within the capture of the moments break that they take in their busy lives...


















One of my favorite birds to capture is the hummingbird. What an amazing moment to capture this fast-paced, high-energy, beautiful little bird. Isn't that how life is sometimes? But even in their bustle to and fro there are moments when (if you look fast enough) you will see them pause and take in the scenery around them... if only for a moment...





What a lesson such a small bird can teach us. Have you ever watched a hummingbird at a feeder? Have you ever watched two hummingbirds fight as to who will get to drink from the feeder? In such a fast paced, busy life they are often fighting to get ahead, be the first to drink and then move on with their busy schedule... do they not see that there is more than one spot to drink from? There is more than just room for one?
On occasion if you watch long enough you will see a moment when they realize this and perhaps without even knowing it a drink is shared ...



1 comment: